Pra Tamnak Panya. This structure is at the top of the “to see” list when you visit Wat Bowon. Pra Tamnak Panya was originally constructed in the ‘Right Garden’ of the Grand Palace, during the reign of King Rama II (1809-1824). later, King Rama III (1824-1851) had this structure relocated to Wat Bowonniwet to serve as living quarters for Venerable Vajiranyana bhikkhu [Prince Mongkut] when he moved here from Wat Samorai (Wat Rajatiwat) in 1836. The Prince remained in this building until he left the Order in 1851 and ascended the throne as the Forth King (Rama IV [1851-1869]). Since that time, Pra Tamnak Panya has been the residence of many ‘Celestial Princes’ and future kings, including King Vajiravudh (Rama VI [1910-1925]) and King Prajadhipok (Rama VII [1925-1935]). His Majesty Bhumiphol Adulyadej (Rama IX), the present monarch, stayed here for a short time during his ordination in 1956.
The three storied brick and stucco dwelling incorporates elements of Thai, European and Chinese styles. The highly adorned gable facing the north hosts the princes’ emblem: a crown (Thai: mongkut) flanked on either side by two five-tiered umbrellas.
Next The Great Cetiya